MY FAVORITE WAY TO CALM MY MIND:


 Some of you may be familiar with this strategy, or maybe you have heard of it. I use a variation of the popular strategy and I like to call it "555." 

555 is an exercise that can be used whenever your mind is feeling extremely overwhelmed, and you need to keep yourself grounded to avoid panic. 

  • The first 5 stands for "5 things you can see."  Look at your surroundings. You are okay, you just need to put yourself back into the moment. Start by naming 5 things that are visible to you, I will play along as an example. Right now, 5 things I see are my computer, my blanket, my television, my posters, and my phone. Take 5 deep breathes. 
  • The second 5 stands for "5 things you can touch." Feel your surroundings. Remember you are okay. I can touch my keyboard, my couch, my glasses, my heartbeat, and my necklace. Take 5 deep breathes. 
  • The third 5 stands for "5 things you can hear." Listen to your surroundings. Using your ears is a great way to ground yourself. I can hear police sirens, humming from my dishwasher, air conditioning, the sound of my typing, and the sound of my breathing. Take 5 deep breathes. 
Let me know what you guys think!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LETS GET STARTED!

Week 2: First showcased disorder is OCD!